This is a general call for speakers for QA or the Highway 2018.
February 27, 2018 – The Ohio Union, Columbus, Ohio
QA or the Highway is a regional professional conference featuring real world experience and thought leadership in the QA and testing industry. Our conferences are very popular one-day events full of practical knowledge at an affordable cost. Last year’s conference was attended by a crowd of over 500 people.
We are now issuing the call for speakers who would like to apply to present at the conference. We have several openings for presentations and are looking for engaging and dynamic speakers who have useful knowledge to share on QA and testing topics. Past topics have included such diverse subjects as manual testing, automation, big data, quality management, non-functional testing, development methodologies, defect metrics, architecture, tools & languages, and team dynamics.
This year, in addition to our traditional sessions, we are introducing a new format: half-day workshops that allow for more in-depth exercises than traditional presentations. Attendance at the workshops will be through prior registration and attendance will be limited. Workshops must be interactive – submissions must indicate the type and amount of interactivity and any special needs, such as laptops or flipcharts.
If you are interested in presenting, please send a brief bio and abstract via the form below. If you know of someone else who may be interested, please forward this email. This call for speakers will close on October 15, 2017. Speakers will be notified of their selection by November 15, 2017.
Our goal is to provide useful and interesting presentations to our attendees in an engaging manner. As a result, we do not accept presentations that are sales-oriented in nature or that are only of interest to a small subset of the QA and testing industry. If accepted, speakers will be required to sign a Speaker Agreement to present at the conference.
Presenters who are accepted will be reimbursed a flat amount for their expenses. The reimbursement rate is as follows:
- Traditional Session Presenters: $100
- 1/2 Day Workshop Facilitators: $200
The non-profit behind QA or the Highway (Central Ohio Software Quality Assurance and Management–COSQAM) is made up of QA leaders from several Central Ohio organizations (Motorists Insurance Group, Grange Insurance, Chemical Abstracts, CoverMyMeds, Centric Consulting, HMB, Tricentis and Ineffable Solutions). In addition to QA or the Highway, we offer quarterly Lunch & Learn presentations on QA and Testing topics. We are dedicated to elevating the QA and Testing industry – for us, it is QA or the Highway.
If a workshop, please include the following information in your abstract section:
- Detail how attendees will be engaged in interactive activities, for how long, and whether the activities are individual- or team-oriented
- Will laptops be required? If so, what setup will they require?
- Will the attendees need to do any pre-work prior to the day of the conference? If so, detail here
Borrowed from the Ministry of Testing
How To Win Brownie Points:
- Perhaps some of the team may know you
- Maybe you have a good reputation (word of mouth or online proof)
- It’s obvious that you write/speak/chat/communicate/Tweet/rant about interesting things and you have made this easy to find
- The talk you have submitted has not been presented elsewhere, ever
- We read your submission and go ‘wow/yes/awesome/interesting!’.
- You make us want to know more
- The topic you are talking about has not been spoken about (anywhere) much in the past
- We get all excited about seeing you speak
- We get all excited about the topic you want to talk about
- You have never spoken before or have spoken very little, but your desire to speak outshines everything else.
- You have volunteered somehow, somewhere within the community
- You have an opinion
- You are bloody brave and willing to get up on stage in front of 400 odd testers
- You do something fun, crazy, different.
- Get in contact, ask us questions, give a damn. We love those that try.
How to Get Rejected:
- Your focus is to promote yourself or your company (tools or services)
- Someone else has submitted on your behalf
- The topic is old/boring/done-to-death
- There has not been enough effort in your submission.
Bear in mind our ultimate goal is to create great, educational and inspiring day for everyone who speaks and attends. Will you help us achieve the goal?